Campus events: Feb. 24 – 28
Looking for something to do this week? We’ve got you covered! Here are the events taking place on campus. Have an on-campus event you want listed? Submit it here.
Monday, Feb. 24
- Some are Born Black, Some Achieve Blackness, and Some Have Blackness Thrust Upon Them: Passing, not passing and the case for Anthony Lennon – 12:30–1:30pm, New Westminster Campus room N4223. In honour of Black History Month, join Douglas College Creative Writing Instructor Wayde Compton for a lecture on the award-winning UK actor and director and his racial odyssey. Refreshments will be served.
Tuesday, Feb. 25
- Global Engagement photo contest – 10am–2pm in the New Westminster Concourse. Douglas College International has rounded up student travel photos and it’s time to cast your vote! The winner will receive a $100 Bookstore gift card.
Wednesday, Feb. 26
- Global Engagement photo contest – 10am–2pm in the Coquitlam atrium. Douglas College International has rounded up student travel photos and it’s time to cast your vote! The winner will receive a $100 Bookstore gift card.
Thursday, Feb. 27
- DSU Ombudsperson drop in – 11am–2pm in the DSU Lounge, Coquitlam Campus room A1190. Get help understanding Douglas College policies and procedures from the Douglas Student Union ombudsperson.
- Black History Month concert: Afro Van Connect Band – 12:30–2:30pm in the New Westminster concourse. Join us for a live performance by the Afro Van Connect Band, a group dedicated to empowering youth of African descent. Refreshments will be served.
- Book launch for Craft Beer and Modern Medievalism: Brewing Dissent – 4:30–7:30pm in the Laura C. Muir Theatre foyer and the Amelia Douglas Gallery. English Instructor Noëlle Phillips will present and read from her new book. Refreshments will be served and a cash bar with craft beer will be available.
Friday, Feb. 28
- Research Spotlight: Sexual Experience on Campuses – 3–5pm in the Aboriginal Gathering Place, New Westminster Campus room S4650. Join Katelin Albert, PhD, a visiting professor in Sociology at the University of Toronto.
- Douglas College Business Association bi-weekly meeting – 3:45–4:45pm in room S1802 at the New Westminster Campus. Find out about upcoming events and ways to get involved with the DCBA.
- First Year Fridays: What a Laugh – 3:30–5pm in the New Westminster concourse. Through the power of comedy improve your confidence, presentation skills and laugh it up with your peers! This will be a comedic FYF!
Ongoing Campus Events
- Three Echoes: Hope and Transformation – From Jan. 16 – Feb. 29 at Amelia Douglas Gallery, New Westminster Campus. Enjoy the mixed-media artwork by three immigrant artists, Sidi Schaffer, Sorour Abdollahi and Devora, who take you on a journey bridging their immigrant experiences with art. Admission is always free.
- New Westminster Campus Winter fitness classes – Monday–Thursday, various times, at the Fitness Centre in the New Westminster Campus. View the scheduled classes, which range from Power Yoga to Zumba. Come get fit and healthy!
- Coquitlam Campus Winter fitness classes – Monday–Sunday, various times, at the Pinetree Community Centre. View the scheduled classes, which range from Pilates to Belly Dancing. Come get fit and healthy!
Check back often for more fun and entertaining campus events!