Campus events: Feb. 3 – 7
Don’t miss out – here’s what’s happening around campus this week!
Let’s kick off your Winter Semester with some fun, interesting and entertaining campus events taking place in and around Douglas.
Campus Events this Week:
Monday, Feb. 3
- Black history month movie screening: Green Book – 12:30 – 3pm in room N4219 at the New Westminster Campus. Enjoy the screening of the Oscar-winning film, Green Book. Inspired by a true story of the Deep South following an African American classical and jazz pianist Don Shirley (Mahershala Ali) and Italian American bouncer Frank “Tony Lip” Vallelonga (Viggo Mortensen).
Wednesday, Feb. 5
- Black history month screening: How much do you know about Black history in Canada? – 1:00 – 1:50pm in both the New Westminster and Coquitlam Campus. Head to the library for a movie screening in honour of Black History Month. Both campus libraries will be streaming the CBC film, “How much do you know about Black history in Canada?” at 1:00pm. Refreshments will be provided.
Thursday, Feb. 6
- Study abroad fair – 10am – 4pm in the New Westminster concourse. Get ready to take your studies global. Discover opportunities to go on an international exchange or take part in a summer program. Students, staff and faculty are invited to come to the concourse to browse and learn more about the opportunities we offer.
- Literature alive – 7 – 9pm in the Studio Theatre at the New Westminster Campus. The Douglas College Creative Writing Department presents Literature Alive, an evening with three distinguished guest authors: Chelene Knight, Shazia Hafiz Ramji and Ian Williams. Free and open to the public.
- Intramurals: Soccer – 4:30–6pm in the Pinetree Community Centre near the Coquitlam Campus. Intramurals are a great way to stay active, meet new friends, build campus community and try a variety of new sports. All Coquitlam Campus intramurals are offered at the Pinetree Community Centre, next to the campus, in Gym 3. Bring your Student ID card and proof of your current class registration.
- Arts at One – 1pm at the Laura C. Muir Performing Arts Theatre, New Westminster Campus. Listen and enjoy Tones & Underhill. Free and open to the public.
Friday, Feb. 7
- Volleyball – Royals vs Bearcats – 6pm at Douglas College. Cheer on the Royals as our women’s basketball team plays against the Bearcats!
- Volleyball – Royals vs Bearcats – 8pm at Douglas College. Cheer on the Royals as our men’s basketball team plays against the Bearcats!
Ongoing Campus Events
- Three Echoes: Hope and Transformation – From Jan. 16 – Feb. 29 at Amelia Douglas Gallery, New Westminster Campus. Enjoy the mixed-media artwork by three immigrant artists, Sidi Schaffer, Sorour Abdollahi and Devora, who take you on a journey bridging their immigrant experiences with art. Admission is always free.
- New Westminster Campus Winter fitness classes – Monday–Thursday from 8am–8pm and Fridays from 8am–6pm, at the Fitness Centre in the New Westminster Campus. View the scheduled classes, which range from Power Yoga to Zumba. Come get fit and healthy!
- Coquitlam Campus Winter fitness classes – Monday–Sunday from 8am–10pm, at the Pinetree Community Centre. View the scheduled classes, which range from Pilates to Belly Dancing. Come get fit and healthy!
Check back often for more fun and entertaining campus events perfect for the Winter season!