By Nancy Constable, Director, Safety, Security and Risk Management
Student safety on campus is a top priority at Douglas College. Read below to find out who to call and where to go in the event of an emergency.
1. Know your Campus Security numbers and save them in your phone.
Coquitlam: 604 777 6254
New Westminster: 604 527 5405
Anvil Centre: 604 777 6666
Call Campus Security 24/7 in the event of an emergency. If you call 911, please also call Campus Security to notify them of the emergency on campus.
2. Know your closest emergency exits and assembly areas.
Evacuation maps are posted in classrooms and near stairwells and elevators. Familiarize yourself with more than one way in/out of the building.
3. Sign up for emergency notifications.
Subscribe to DC Alerts to receive important notifications regarding emergencies on campus and advisories of campus closures (for example, due to heavy snowfall).
5. Speak up when you see something unsafe.
Report all safety hazards and incidents to Campus Security, including concerning behaviours.
6. Use the College’s SaferWalk service.
You can receive a security escort to the local SkyTrain station or to your vehicle in a campus parking lot/parkade by requesting a SaferWalk from Security.
7. If you need First Aid, go to or call Campus Security.
8. If you need someone to talk to, contact the College’s confidential counselling services.
Counsellors can assist with managing personal challenges, career planning and figuring out how to ease the pressure of college life.
Coquitlam: 604 777 6185
New Westminster: 604 527 5486