On Nov. 11, people across Canada will pay their respects to the members of the armed forces who served this country.
To mark the occasion, Douglas College will hold a Remembrance Day poetry competition. The contest is open to all students enrolled at Douglas.
The top-three submissions will each receive a prize. The first-place winner will receive a $300 tuition credit, while the second- and third-place winners will receive a $150 and $100 Bookstore voucher, respectively.
- We will accept original and unpublished poems in English, on the themes of war, peace, and remembrance.
- Poems should be typed and no longer than 30 lines.
- Include name, student number, email and telephone number on a separate title page paper-clipped to your poem. Only your student number should appear on the poem itself.
- The deadline for submission is Nov. 5, 2015.
- Submit your poem to the drop box in the LLPA office, or by email to Leah Hjalte.
- Judging will be done by instructors from the Creative Writing Department.
- Winners will be announced on Remembrance Day, Nov. 11, 2015. Winning entries may appear on the Doug Blog.
To learn more about Remembrance Day in Canada, visit the Veterans Affairs Canada website.